DSpace is a platform that allows you to capture items in any format -in text, video, audio, and data. It distributes it over the web. It indexes your work, so users can search and retrieve your items. It preserves your digital work over the long term. DSpace provides a way to manage your research materials and publications in a professionally maintained repository to give them greater visibility and accessibility over time. DSpace is typically used as an institutional repository.
benefits of using DSpace
- Getting your research results out quickly, to a worldwide audience.
- Reaching a worldwide audience through exposure to search engines such as Google.
- Storing reusable teaching materials that you can use with course management systems.
- Archiving and distributing material you would currently put on your personal website.
- Storing examples of students projects (with the students permission).
- Showcasing students theses (again with permission).
- Keeping track of your own publications/bibliography.
- Having a persistent network identifier for your work, that never changes or breaks.
- No more page charges for images. You can point to your images persistent identifiers in your published articles.
Features of DSpace
The mechanism whereby systems may securely identify their users.
The mechanism by which a system determines what level of access a particular authenticated user should have to secure resources controlled by the system.
Ease Of Access
The level of effort required in order finding, or gaining access to use it is very minimal by using various Browse options.
Faster Search & Retrieval
Users can search for any item via a single interface. An Advanced Search tool is also available. Hierarchy to manage contents(i.e. Communities, Collections, and Items).
Import & Export
Allows Import & Export for Communities, Collections and Items.
Provides statistical reports/summary which can be used for perform analysis on repository.
Supports large no. of digital formats
DSpace accepts any type of digital content, including: Text, Images, Audio and Video.
Allows customization to accommodate the multidisciplinary and organizational needs of a large institution.
Dspace uses the open source search engine technology 'Lucene' which makes it very easy for anybody to find any item within a very short span of time.